Oliver Jeffers is the author and artist of so many children's books that I love, so it is going to be fairly difficult for me not to be glowing in my review of his latest offering The Boy: His Stories and How They Came To Be. I discovered Oliver Jeffers when my first daughter was… Continue reading BOOK REVIEW: The Boy: His Stories and How They Came To Be by Oliver Jeffers
Something is causing mysterious circles to appear in the cornfields of Canfield Farm. And someone, or something, has obviously terrified Barry Cansfield. But when friends Ben and Midge sneak out to the farm to investigate, they discover a secret more terrifying than they could possibly have imagined.
Short Review The books in the Rose Raventhorpe Investigates series simply keep getting better with each instalment. Janine Beacham has created a wonderful fictional world in her city of ‘Yorke’, with secret passageways beneath the cobbled streets (known as the ‘Stairs Below’), magical cat statues which function as the guardians of Yorke, and a secret… Continue reading BOOK REVIEW: Rose Raventhorpe Investigates Books 1 to 3, by Janine Beacham
Polly longs to become an explorer. But in 1914, women's rights and choices are limited – something twelve-year-old Polly learns when she befriends her new neighbours: two suffragettes, fighting for women's rights to vote.
- Short Review - From the award winning author Kiran Millwood Hargrave of ‘The Girl of Ink & Stars’ comes her much anticipated follow up novel ‘The Island at the End of Everything’ and what a book it is. A kaleidoscopic depiction of a young girls struggles on the Island of Culion in 1906. An island that is both… Continue reading BOOK REVIEW: The Island at the End of Everything by Kiran Millwood Hargrave
Score: Four and a half out of five Storgy typewriters Other books like this: Blitz by Robert Swindells. Short Review: Faster paced than a Spitfire and more punch than a V2 bomb. The Revenge of Tirpitz is a told between now and the end of World War II. It is a story of mystery, espionage, revenge… Continue reading Book Review: The Revenge of Tirpitz by M.L. Sloan
– Short Review – This book is a whirlwind – fast paced, gripping and building on the world that Ness so delicately nurtured in the first book 'The Knife of Never Letting Go' also reviewed here by STORGY KIDS. Todd’s world is changed forever when he makes a deal with the Devil Mayor Prentiss (President Prentiss)… Continue reading BOOK REVIEW: The Ask And The Answer by Patrick Ness
- Short Review - The Last Chance Hotel is a delightful page turner, I challenge anyone who reads it not to fall under Thornton's spell. The book reads as a simple who done it novel but the beauty of this book is the shear brilliance of its plot and the characters that are held within… Continue reading BOOK REVIEW: The Last Chance Hotel by Nicki Thornton
- Short Review - A powerful and emotional story about belonging, loss and home. A school bully and a refugee girl are bound together when they discover an injured fox and her cubs. They must overcome their differences to work together to keep the foxes safe. As they do they discover they both love to… Continue reading BOOK REVIEW: The Fox Girl and the White Gazelle by Victoria Williamson
- Short Review - This is a book that deals with the difficult subject of loss and the bereavement of a loved one, told in an engaging and light style that is a perfect resources for parents and families that are facing this most difficult of situations. This is a very important book which I… Continue reading BOOK REVIEW: The Magical Wood by Mark Lemon